Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bad Fall

One of my SA kids fell during their sports day performance.
She slipped past the loader.
Spotter didn't react in time to catch her.
It was so serious that Sam and I had to rush to the mat and stopped the performance.

An ambulance was called.
She was sent to the hospital.
A fractured shoulder.
And she needed to be operated on.

Sam and I told the kids not to blame each other.
And most importantly, not to blame themselves.
Since the whole school witnessed the whole accident, I'm sure my kids, Sam and I will have to face lotsa pressure in the future.
Pressure from the school management, the rest of the students, and most importantly, the team itself.

From where I was standing I could see what happened exactly.
(I dun wanna go into the details here)
Nobody wants this to happen.
But like what Sam said, they have to take responsibility.

It was a stunt that had 100% hit rate so far.
Thus they were not ready when the stunt fell.
The thing is, 100% hit rate doesn't mean 0% chance of the stunt failing.
This is something they need to learn.
Complacency can be deadly.

We did provide the necessary safety precautions.
And Sam knew I have been nagging them about safety every training.
But when such things happened, I, as their coach, need to take responsibility too.
I would need to work even more on safety from now on.

This was the first time I sat in an ambulance.
It felt unreal.
But the tears and pain were real.
It was barely 12pm when I left the hospital.
But I was already drained by then.